SUBMENU

Our Sixth Form was judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted in November 2016.

• “Teachers and students respond well to the high expectations of leaders.  This enables students to achieve well and rates of retention are high”.

• “Teachers’ subject knowledge is particularly strong”.

• “There are good relationships between students and their teachers”.

• “The curriculum includes a good balance of academic and vocational pathways”.

• “Sixth-form students feel well supported in terms of careers advice and work experience”.

• “Students appreciate the many leadership opportunities available to them”.

• “In 2015 and 2016, students’ progress was in line with the national average for academic and applied courses”.

Advanced level study often requires different teaching and learning styles. Sixth Form students are required to be well organised and have more self-discipline than in lower years. Tutors and subject teachers are excellent in helping students to develop these skills. We are proud to be able to offer a wide range of A level and BTEC subjects in the Sixth Form, the list of which is on the application form. This includes subjects on offer at the other school in our Trust – Wycombe High School (provided that entry requirements are met). We aim to develop our students into well-rounded members of society by developing personal and social skills through the timetabled Enrichment programme allowing them to follow a range of pursuits within the school community or with one of our partners. The combination of academic and Enrichment activities equips our students with all the skills that they need to acquire university places, traineeships or employment.

Our Sixth Form core curriculum and enrichment programme is designed with the students’ needs in mind, and includes:

• Young Enterprise

• Higher Education establishment visits and Careers Fairs

• University speakers

• Interact (young Rotary)

• Level 3 Extended Project

• A full Careers and Entitlement Programme

• A range of external speakers

Sixth Formers enjoy their own environment, which includes their own common rooms and study facilities; however, this does not mean they are isolated from the rest of the school. Our Sixth Form students are very definitely role models. They are involved in assisting staff in school events, in supporting tutors in lower school, in running extra-curricular activities and making regular visits to our feeder primary schools to support their PE curricula.

The Sixth Form has a very positive and definite sense of community. The young people who form it grow in maturity and independence, with the support and encouragement of the subject and pastoral staff. They enjoy the privileges and freedom of being a Sixth Former and also benefit from the regular tutoring and guidance from the staff. They leave us not only well-qualified, but also as mature and rounded individuals with the skills to succeed.

As BEA is part of the Wycombe High School Academies Trust our Sixth Form timetable is linked to Wycombe High School.  This means that, for boys and girls who meet the entry criteria, there is the opportunity to study a subject at Wycombe High School that is not currently offered at Bourne End Academy.  Currently we have students studying Physics and Further Mathematics at Wycombe High School.  This vastly increases  the breadth of our curriculum offer in the Sixth Form.

Mr M. Craigie

Head of Sixth Form

Information for 6th Form Students

Curriculum Policy