SUBMENU

BOURNE END ACADEMY

CHECKLIST FOR UCAS APPLICATION for 2018 entry

1. Decide to study at university

2. Research and select courses that interest you and are relevant to your study at A Level or equivalent

3. Visit as many universities as you can to be certain you like what the offer

4. Complete the UCAS preparation handbook form Mrs Mattingley on how to write a personal statement and how to start the application form

5. Discuss completed booklet with Mrs Mattingley to plan the order of the personal statement

6. Ask as many people as you want to look at your statement to add their thoughts and comments, and be specific about your skills gained – not that you studied something but what have you been able to do with what you learnt.

7. Have final draft ready for October Half Term

8. Amend, update and complete with payment by the end of November to Mrs Mattingley who will write your reference and predicted grades, and submit your completed application.

9. Sit back and wait for your offers!

10. Revise and work hard so you achieve your needed grades.

11. When offers come in decide which is your first preference

12. Go for interviews if invited

13. Offers will be conditional (upon you passing the grades required) or unconditional (the place is yours)

14. Should you not gain enough UCAS points for your choices, you can enter the UCAS clearing system.  You need to ensure you are in the UK near a phone and internet while this process takes place, as you will need to call around different universities to find a suitable course.There will be staff in school to support this

UCAS CHECK LIST

Student - when you give your UCAS application pack / plastic wallet to Mrs Mattingley, it should contain the following information.  This can be checked through with someone else first as well: 

• This sheet on the top in the front of the plastic wallet

• A4 print out of your UCAS application, your ‘Choices’ section preferably annotated by hand with the A Level entry requirements for each course

• A Level & possibly AS results and predictions from your teaching staff

• Mini report from EPQ or other courses etc, if relevant, with predictions

• Entry profile of your favourite course highlighted with attributes you can try and include in your personal statement, and staff will use in your reference

Then – either alone or with a teacher/mentor/parent - please check the following is completed on your application:

1 - UK citizen or EU National

2 - Fee code is O2 UK, ChI, IoM

3 - Student Support arrangements – Buckinghamshire

4 - a parent or carer (or teacher if stuck) for nominated access

5 – You have listed a disability or difficulty if applicable

6 - Choices should include three universities – suggest you have two that meet your expected grades and one that is a little below

7 - Entered all A Level subjects (and EPQ, if relevant, with a short title) with grades pending

8 – You have entered the correct subjects and exam boards for GCSEs and ASand A Levels – please check them with Miss Comley or Ms Kenward in the assessment and exams office

9 - All exam grades entered as August of the relevant year – ie August 2016 for your GCSEs.

10 - All exam results are correct – again please check as above. Modular results can be shown or not – it is the student’s choice.Show them if they are all really high

11 – include copies of certificates if you are a Performing Arts student - Music, dance, drama grade 6 or above

12 - Personal statement is in, right number of characters or lines and it flows well.Have you had your grammar checked with Mrs Mattingley, have you left a blank line between paragraphs, and only got 4 paragraphs.

13 - Check that your teachers and Form Tutor have written your reference – and any other relevant person you come into contact with

14 - The predictions have been passed to Mrs Mattingley

Thank you , Mrs Mattingley

GUIDE TO REGISTER AND GET YOUR UCAS APPLICATION COMPLETED

• Go to www.UCAS.com

• On the right at the top select the box ‘Register’

• Select Undergraduate register (from the drop down list)

• Half way down the screen, select Register and Apply…2018 and an arrow

• Ignore log in boxes and select Register underneath

• Then you have 2 pages of legal info about how your data is shared to read if you want

• On page two of it tick the box at the bottom of the page to accept terms and conditions

• Then continue through all the pages – it asks for all sorts of personal info

• Think carefully about your email address – it can be school or personal

• Consider whether you want to receive info from them by text, email or post or all or a mixture. Tick the boxes

• Create a password when you get to that screen – carefully and not too complex. It must have a number, capital and lower case letters and a symbol & * % £ etc…

• Write down your password.  Your Username will come onto the screen created for you by UCAS – Write it down. 

• Also at some time then, your unique UCAS number will come on screen – again write it down – it is used in any phone calls or need to contact UCAS about you.

• Another selection will be for an additional contact person (nominated access) – use a parent or carer – if you don’t want to you can use a teacher. BUT fill it in – it means that if something happened to you and someone needed to contact UCAS for you while you couldn’t, then it will only be this person who is allowed info or to talk for you.

• You get to a point where all basics are set up – click ‘log in’ then and you will be taken to a screen where you will select type of application

• You select ‘college or school’Then you put in the BUZZWORD so we can manage your reference

• Another thing is how you will be funded – unless you are paying for yourself, or have a sponsor, it is always Fee code  O2 UK, ChI, IoM

• You are asked for you ULN (Unique Learner Number) – get them from the school office from SIMS.

• Fill all of it in and save now and again so not to get timed out. Save and close when you have had enough.

• You can go in and out of the application as often as you like – just save each time.

NOW write your Personal Statement draft from your planning booklet – DO NOT worry if it is far too many words or lines to start with – THAT IS USUAL.  Start with too much and then we can tweak and shop out or make concise, all the words that are not necessary.

SAVE IT in the UCAS 18 folder and in there is a separate folder for each of you OCTOBER HALF TERMSooner the better…